What is blocking port 80?

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 22 12:13:44 MDT 2004

Hi:
I'll come out and tell you the bad news first.  Your system, because
your brought down the iptables is WAY TOO open.  Your own printout of
nmap's report tells you port 80 IS open! You really should shutdown
telnet.

You DO know that ssh is a much safer conduit than telnet and the intent
in developing ssh was to replace telnet entirely.  Consider reviewing
some reference texts such as Using Linux Sys. Admin, and others like
them.  There are nice and clear discussions regarding security, ports,
iptable controls etc.; you might also review Maximum Linux occasionally.

Obviously there is no way to be specific without revealing to you and
everyone else the paths you've allowed which are now as wide as the
tunnel connecting France and England!  You should get my drift before
someone gets a whiff literally of your net.  Of course if you don't know
what is going on with what is surrounding your system right now that may
be the only thing protecting you, but that is REAL BAD system
administration.  IGNORANCE IS the KOD (KISS OF DEATH); you just don't
know it yet.

You don't have much time and unfortunately, I can only point to
references.  For quick references access, www.fatbrain.com and learn
fast.  If I point things out explicitly you ahere then others who intend
to make things very bad for you will be able to make it worse SOONER.
And unfortunately human nature is such that there is no way to know who
is Sinner or Saint.

Of course, if you are independently wealthy and this is what you do for
entertainment then Why Worry?  If however there is responsibility of
running the server and various databases integrated with Apache then you
are in heap of boiling soup!  Sorry...but you have some research and
implementations to do in a hurry!  There are packages like SATAN, SAINT
Bastile, Tripwire, to name a few which can help you nail things down and
identify what is going on.  They are also mentioned in the references I
provided.

As 80 is not blocked on the machine nmap ran the test on; if a blockage
still exists it must be from what systems surround it; that's as much a
hint you'll get from me.

Try to get this resolved before users start yelling and those in
authority start to hear it.  These are harsh times to be standing in the
midst of a highway with a placard on one's person "I will code for
food."