YDL Switcher questions

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 22 18:26:54 MDT 2004

> >> was under the impression that there was code based on intel/amd
> >> architecture and  code that was re-written to take advantage of PPC
> >> architecture. If that's the case, how do I do that.
> >

> Great! Where/what do I look for to learn that? It can't be THAT hard.
> Someone does it. Seriously, I'd love to learn. Maybe the first thing I'd
> fix is the damn clock.

You are the first person on this or ANY user list I've been on willing
to learn programming to that intricacy.  Coding for multiple
architectures is a higher lever computer science course usually reserved
for upper level College Jrs. and Srs. And the courses they take are
INTRODUCTORY to the subject as a whole.  The nitty gritty isn't really
entered into until Graduate School in the Computer Science department.
I'm considering doing this myself but I'm more interested in other
engineering and bioscience related issues.

I can point to two paths depending on your temperament which you may
care to follow:

1.  A serious Computer Science program recognized and offered by the
Department of Engineering of a major State University which happens to
offer selected courses and Graduate programs online.  www.suny.sln.edu.

2.  An independent study, read on your own approach.  Cost: The price of
whatever few books you buy.  No pressure except what you impose on
yourself.  Exams are whatever you want to work on and when you choose to
do so.  Check out the references and tomes at www.fatbrain.com.  Advice:
Choose a text starting at whatever level you are at and move on from
there.

What should matter is that whichever way you choose, you should find it
interesting enough to pursue the next step. I understand that DaVinci
had the practice of drawing birds as a relaxation from his work on
ballistics.  For the right mind, even dreams, point to a solution.

Best wishes...

--
Life only demands from you the strength you possess.
Only one feat is possible -- not to have run away."

Gitanjali 35:
Where the Mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where Knowledge is Free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the Depth of Truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards Perfection;
Where the Clear Stream of Reason has not lost its way into the dreary
desert sand of dead habit;
Where the Mind is led forward by Thee into Ever-Widening Thought
And Action --
Into That Heaven of Freedom, My Father, let my country awake.

by Rabindranath Tagore, Gitanjali (Song Offerings): A Collection of
Prose Translations Made by the Author from the Original Bengali, intro.
by W. B. Yeats (London: MacMillan, 1913): 27-28. PR 6039 A2G6 1913
Robarts Library

Mitakuye Oyasin -- A Cherokee expression meaning,"We are all related."