YDL Switcher questions

Christopher Brown yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 22 17:32:32 MDT 2004

>> The clock I was referring to is the one that is standard in the dock
>> panel in the corner. Every time I restart, the time is something
>> different. I have set the clock to the Red Hat network time server (both
>> of them) and still the same thing. I've even tried to not set it to a
>> network clock and same thing. It just never has a consistent time.
>> Matter of fact my clock says 9:56pm right now but in actuality it's
>> 2:55pm. The date stays correct though!
>>

> Sounds like you have a timezone problem. The Apple system clock is UTC,
> and you need to set your local timezone. If you don't, it will reset
> everytime you restart. Hmmm. Seven hours ahead. If you're in the
> timezone east of California, I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGH! The system clock?!?! OK, after checking the little UTC
box in the preference panel of the clock it now keeps time after a restart.
I guess I didn't understand that I needed to select a time zone, select a
time server, AND CHECK A BOX! I've reset that clock for a year now and
never thought there could possibly be another step in setting that thing.
Nice. Well, thanks for the tip. KOrganizer now works, Xine now stays
running, system wide preferences now save and generally things seem to be
working. Glad to know I don't have to abandon Gnome. Someone else mentioned
Afterstep. Is that relatively stable?

>> was under the impression that there was code based on intel/amd
>> architecture and  code that was re-written to take advantage of PPC
>> architecture. If that's the case, how do I do that.
>
> I think this is one of those "If you need to ask, you can't do it"
> questions. Seriously; if the code doesn't compile on PPC, the problems
> tend to be fairly low-level hardware interface problems, and if you
> don't already know how to approach them, you almost certainly need to do
> a lot of study before you can.
>
> Hope this helps,
> David

Great! Where/what do I look for to learn that? It can't be THAT hard.
Someone does it. Seriously, I'd love to learn. Maybe the first thing I'd
fix is the damn clock.

Thanks to everyone who has answered questions here. My trial of Linux has
been quite interesting. The good and helpful people that take time to
answer questions and offer assistance and muck with code and maintain yum
repositories are quite an amazing phenomenon.

Christopher