What is blocking port 80?

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Thu Sep 23 14:45:25 MDT 2004

> Well, I guess the only way to know for sure would be to disconnect the
> router and its network from the internet and temporarily
> connect the YDL
> box to the internet in its place as the only machine with the address
> 199.21.148.227, and if that works, try forwarding port 80 to
> a different
> machine where the webserver is known to work. That's now guaranteed to
> narrow it down to the exact source.

True, but I don't think it's necessary because it's already been shown that
his YDL box answers web page requests on port 80 at least. I'm assuming,
Cam, that the router is doing NAT and translating the IP addresses to those
on the inside. Your tcpdump shows the IP packet destination addresses as
internal so you know the firewall is correctly NATing. It also shows it
going to port "http" which is port 80. Your apache server better have been
listening on port 80 then or it would have been vociferously silent.

Let's go back to first principles....

What is the default route on your YDL machine? And is that the same IP
address as the internal interface address on your router?

Bill