Linux-on-Linux

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Sun Sep 26 03:55:51 MDT 2004

> Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:59:23 -0500
> From: Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net>

> I have been trying to follow these discussions, but I must be missing
> some essential piece of understanding on this topic. What does everyone
> mean by "Mac-on-Linux," "Linux-on-Mac," and the like? Is this what is
> realized in an emulator such as Virtual PC, in running an instance of
> the Mac operating system in a window such as MOL in Yellow Dog Linux, or
> in running a virtual machine like the Java engine?

All three of your examples are virtual machines of sorts; I think in
this context usually something like the second is meant: no emulation
because code runs natively on the underlying physical machine,
(limited) access to actual physical devices, etc.

> In any of those cases, why would one want to run "Linux-on-Linux"? Isn't
> the booted instance of Linux good enough? What am I missing?

For me the appeal is the ability to switch between distros without
rebooting.

Ray