drive mounting issue (SCSI on beige G3)

Benjamin Warfield warfieldb at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 26 18:58:44 MDT 2004

First a little background: I'm trying to recover the data from a dead
system (processor failure) by putting the drives from it into another
system, so I can mount them and copy whatever data's worth saving.
This means that I have two SCSI drives, both with ext3 partitions on
them, connected up to a G3 minitower (IDE boot drive), which minitower
(borrowed from a friend) is running YDL 3.0, largely unmodified and
un-updated (don't worry, it's not on the internet).

Everything seemed to be working fine: I'd gotten everything hooked up,
booted into linux, and the drives were recognized without apparent
trouble.  Then I tried to mount them, and got "VFS: can't find ext3
filesystem on sd(8,5)" (and other similar messages when I tried other
numbers when I tried the other drive and other partition numbers, in
case I'd misremembered the partition number).  At the suggestion of my
roommate, I tried fdisk -l and was told "Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain
a valid partition table", with the same message for /dev/sdb... and
also for /dev/hda, which is the boot drive on a system which is very
obviously booted just fine.  For reference, that's fdisk and mount
v2.11y.

Anybody care to explain to me what I'm missing on this?  I'm fairly
sure the disks were not damaged in the death of the old system (it
seemed like processor failure), and I haven't done anything rash with
them since then.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

	--Ben Warfield