SAMBA disk recommendations for a YDL G4

Ken Lubar klubarpop at emiboston.com
Tue Sep 28 07:24:53 MDT 2004

We are planning to move our primary file server (currently ASIP on a G3) to
YellowDog on a G4-450/with AGP. What is the recommendation for disks and
controllers for running the machine as a file server?  We need about 40 GB
of "RAIDed" storage and about 250 GB of static storage (online copies of
backup CD that never get written and could be restored from the CDs if
needed).  We will have about 40 PC clients (running Windows XP/2000).  This
machine will also need to support about 6 Mac clients (so we will also be
running Netatalk 2.0).

Cost is a factor... I don't think I can spring for 10K SCSI drives and
controllers...so I'm looking for recommendations for raided (or even
non-raided) ATA or SATA drives & controllers that are well supported and
work well on the G4.

Many thanks in advance.

Ken Lubar
EMI Strategic Marketing