Zoom USB Modem

Steven Didier steve.didier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:15:40 MDT 2005

Dean,
I'll try to answer your question but I'm doing it from memory since I'm
now on satellite and no longer use the modem.
Do you have USB converters compiled in your kernel? Generic, Belkin, etc
You do have wvdial installed?
If installed you should be able to type wvdialconf (or
/sbin/wvdialconf) to have the app confifure a /etc/wvdial.conf file for
you. While it is working, in your terminal window wvdial will tell you
if it finds your zoom modem through the usb converter. If it is not
then your particular converter may not be supported--I have two a
belkin and an IOGear, only the Belkin is supported on my system.
If wvdial is successful you'll then have to edit the /etc/wvdial.conf
file  and make sure that the default setting include the information
for your ISP login, password etc.
Also keep in mind that you have to edit, invoke and whatever wvdialconf
as root, because it contains passwoords, if that is not the case be
sure to change the permissions so that root is the the owner. Once
wvdialconf is running each session you should be able to connect with
your email client and browser as a normal user.

I do not know if YDL4.0.1 has support built in so that once the
/etc/wvdial.conf file is created you can use kpp?

Hope this helps you!
Steve