SMB fileserver

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:07:19 MDT 2005

YDL (yellowdoglinux) 4.0 or 4.0.1 by patching the SMB source-code.

Difficulty: a skilled newbie/not-so-skilled old-hack

On Apr 10, 2005 8:10 AM, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2005 6:36 PM, Robert Story <rstory-l at revelstone> wrote:

> > GJ> Would you write the recipe for this ? I mean, there are certainly people on
> > GJ>
> > GJ> this list, that haven't done such things yet (patching is new for me too).
> > GJ> Just a simple command after command example would be helpful.
> >
> > 1) Grab the samba src rpm from your favorite mirror:
> >
> > ftp://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mirrors/linux/distributions/yellowdog/update
> > s/yellowdog-4.0/SRPMS/samba-3.0.10-1.ydl.1.src.rpm
> >
> > 2) install it (as root): rpm -ivh samba-3.0.10-1.ydl.1.src.rpm
> >
> > 3) Save the attached patch to /tmp/
> >
> > 4) cd /usr/src/yellowdog/SPECS/; patch -p0 < /tmp/samba-pwd.pat
> >
> > 5) cd ..; rpmbuild -bb SPECS/samba.spec
> >
> > 6) rpm -Fvh RPMS/ppc/samba-*
>
> Two things so far...
> 1. Before doing step two you'll have to "mkdir /usr/src/yellowdog"
> since it appears the rpm -ivh command will not create that directory
> automagically
>
> 2. patching doesn't seem to work for me. I'm now going to see if what
> wasn't patched and do it manually (or see if, for some reason, the
> code I have has actually been patched).
>
> Eric.

Hello all: I have got a few additions/modifications to the instructions:

1. Before you get started with steps 1-6 by Robert Story you (may)
have to do the following (logged
in as root or using sudo, NOT through su) to get your computer ready
to compile the Samba source.

First, install the following packages and dependencies...

Long way of doing this:
yum install pam-devel readline-devel ncurses-devel libacl-devel
krb5-devel openldap-devel openssl-devel cups-devel
yum install rpm-build
yum install gcc

Short way: and make sure you don't have a carriage return (enter)
between libacl-devel and krb5-devel):

yum -y install pam-devel readline-devel ncurses-devel libacl-devel
krb5-devel openldap-devel openssl-devel cups-devel rpm-build gcc

The preceding packages are all needed to (a) compile/build anything
(gcc & rpm-build) and (b) satisfy the dependencies for a Samba compile
(everything else). If you're on dial-up, go make yourself a
home-cooked hot meal from fresh veggies for once, instead of that
instant stuff far too many of us eat (i.e. there's at least 9 MB of
d/ling going to happen).

2. Before you start following Robert's instructions, you should be
aware that the last 1/3 of the patch will fail. This is NOT a problem
since the patch merely fails to apply the "change log" information to
the code... I didn't bother figuring out what the difference was.

3. Before you start with the instructions make the yellowdog directory
in /usr/src:
mkdir /usr/src/yellowdog

4. Now start following the instructions... steps 1-6 as detailed by
Robert Story.

Comments about Robert Story's (very helpful instructions):

The rpmbuild will take *a long* time (~1.5 hours on my Beige G3/266
with 128 MB of RAM, perhaps more). Once it's "done" you may see it
sitting with a blank line in the terminal. IT IS NOT DONE YET. It
still as to write the RPMs to disk! Wait. Wait. Wait.

You may wonder why I had all these extra steps beyond Robert's
instructions. It's b/c his computer already had all the necessary
dependencies & compilers/rpmbuilders necessary. My system is pretty
much a "virgin" YDL 4.0 (not 4.0.1) install with some left-over .conf
files from 3.0.1.

FYI I suspect it may be possible to deal with the SMB password problem
by disabling passwords or disabling encrypted passwords in the .conf
file (I saw that when I was reading the doc files whilst waiting for
Samba to compile). Fortunately I still have a full back-up of my /etc
file from my 3.0.1 server sitting around so I simply copied over the
.conf files from that into /etc/samba. Voila. My samba server came
back to life after nearly two months of inactivity (since I upgraded
to YDL 4.0 from 3.0.1).

... and, my server computer's been up for 42 days and 33 mins :) :) :)
(and, X & GNOME were running for 30 days without a crash or
anything... I killed X b/c I realised I was leaving FireFox running
all the time on GMail (which regularly auto-loads) which meant it was
chewing up valuable cycles and RAM on my server computer... it sits
hidden in a closet, only to be accessed via ssh or X -query (XDMCP)
75% of the time ;-).

Good luck with your Samba trials and tribulations.

Eric.