SMB fileserver

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:16:10 MDT 2005

> FYI I suspect it may be possible to deal with the SMB password problem
> by disabling passwords or disabling encrypted passwords in the .conf
> file (I saw that when I was reading the doc files whilst waiting for
> Samba to compile). Fortunately I still have a full back-up of my /etc
> file from my 3.0.1 server sitting around so I simply copied over the
> .conf files from that into /etc/samba. Voila. My samba server came
> back to life after nearly two months of inactivity (since I upgraded
> to YDL 4.0 from 3.0.1).

I should point out that:
(a) I installed YDL 4.0 from scratch (over a pre-existing 3.0.1
install... didn't keep anything from 3.0.1) and tried to configure SMB
only to find out that the samba that shipped with YDL 4 was broken (I
messed around with the config file trying to fix it);
(b) I did all the stuff described in the previous e-mail to patch &
compile samba;
(c) installed samba as per the rpm command provided in that e-mail;
(d) copied my old /etc/samba folder contents (from YDL 3.0.1) to my
current folder;
(e) started Samba using webmin (www.webmin.com; may also now be
available through yum in YDL 4.0); and,
(f) logged in from OS X (joy joy joy... now I can auto-login again AND
ALSO have long file names since OS X10.3.8 + netatalk 1.6.4 don't
really like each other that much).

Eric.