HP LaserJet problems

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Mon Apr 11 01:17:02 MDT 2005

I may be trying to do the impossible. I'm trying to print to an HP
LaserJet 6L printer. It's a parallel port printer connected to the print
server of my DLink wireless/ported router. My Mac/YDL machine is
connected via an ethernet cable. (Wireless is  used by  2 Win  laptops
in the house). DLink  offers no Mac/Linux support for the print server
though the router works perfectly for Internet/LAN tasks. (DLink Model
is 714P+). I've spent several hours trying variious configs, trying
Linux printing solutions found on the HP site. (They offer something
called HPLIP to support most inkjet and some laserjet printers under
Linux. I used the yum instructions for Redhat Fedora due to its close
YDL ties. After downloading and extracting the HPLIP tarball I got
nowhere with
$./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make

login as su then

# make install
# /etc/init.d/hplip restart
# /etc/init.d/cups restart

I gather the install is supposed to create a directory /usr/share/hplip
however no such directory exists on my computer.
Then you are supposed to be able to add a printer via a broswer, to wit:

http://localhost:631  which brings up a gui which ends up in a
non-working printer.

Has anyone got a solution to this problem. I've successfully printed
with this HP LaserJet under an x86 Mandrake version of Linux a couple of
years ago. Is the problem rooted in hardware incompatibility between Mac/HP?
Thanks for any suggestions offered.

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA

-=-=-
... Operator out of coffee, taglines may become irrational