Synergy and not sharing keyboard

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
Wed Apr 13 12:31:24 MDT 2005

To keep this as short as possible, the size of my desk and the size of
my huge 17 inch Apple Studio Display (CRT), I can only arrange it so my
iBook G4 sits in front of me, while the keyboard, mouse, and screen for
the G3 sit to the left.

Due to the position of the G3's mouse (it has to be on the right of my
laptop because there is no room for it on the left, my laptop's mouse
is there), the fact that it's only a one button mouse whereas my
iBook's mouse is 3+scrollwheel, and that I regularly change typing
between the two, I'd rather share only the mouse and leave the
keyboards alone.

That way I don't have to worry about which screen I'm typing in; I'll
know keypresses go to the respective computer.

- --Andy

On Apr 13, 2005, at 8:49 AM, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Andrew Zschetzsche wrote :
>
>> Does anyone on the list use Synergy?  My question, before I bother
>> with
>> it, is can you share only the mouse and not the keyboard?  I'd rather
>> not purchase an new mouse for my newly-acquired but old G3.
>
> Silly question : "Why?"
> It shares both : When you move the mouse of your "main" computer to an
> "other" computer, it's keyboard then controls that "other" computer,
> but
> nothing keeps you from still using that "other" computer's keyboard in
> parallel.
>
> Maybe I just didn't understand what you meant :-)
>
> Matthias
>
> --
> Clean custom Red Hat Linux rpm packages : http://freshrpms.net/
> Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3
> Load : 1.30 1.27 0.78

- --
Andrew Zschetzsche
University of Minnesota, Morris
zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
aim: zsche004
msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu

America's Best Public Liberal Arts College.

- --The best answer to a problem with multiple solutions is often the
simplest one.

"One of the best things you can do to improve your life is to quit"
   -- Actual pull quote from the University Register