Install on a Beige G3

Barry barrynyc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 08:23:40 MDT 2005

Thanks to you and to John Wright and others for the suggestions. I
downloaded the current YDL 4, and finally succeeded to get a system on
the machine, and running. But there are a couple problems. Any insight
would be appreciated.

The installer balked the first two times, but actually started on the
third and ran through. Twice (once with python, which would have been
inconvenient) I was told I had CD errors, but I chose to try again and
the installer eventually loaded all the software before crashing, as
explained in the link below.

Of course by using the latest version, I got kernel 2.6.10 installed
along with everything else, but I had 2.6.8 on the Mac partition for
BootX, so I have no modules.

There were two obvious problems:
1. I had put in a 100mb Adaptec ethernet card but it wasn't recognized
2. The DMA was turned off for my CDROM (blacklisted say the logs)

I copied the newer kernel to the Mac side and tried that. It of course
has its modules and it booted up fine. But I had no useable ethernet.
The logs say it loaded the tulip driver. The logs also show that
pcmcia started. But no ethernet was active. (But the CD DMA was OK).

I guess I'll try compiling a new 2.6.8 kernel for the modules. But
were there problems with Adaptec ethernet cards on those machines?

On Apr 9, 2005 10:23 PM, xlargebear at bellsouth.net