Install on a Beige G3

Jim Ricken jsac346 at HotPoP.com
Tue Apr 12 15:09:07 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 09:23, Barry wrote:
> Thanks to you and to John Wright and others for the suggestions. I
> downloaded the current YDL 4, and finally succeeded to get a system on
> the machine, and running. But there are a couple problems. Any insight
> would be appreciated.
>
> The installer balked the first two times, but actually started on the
> third and ran through. Twice (once with python, which would have been
> inconvenient) I was told I had CD errors, but I chose to try again and
> the installer eventually loaded all the software before crashing, as
> explained in the link below.
>
> Of course by using the latest version, I got kernel 2.6.10 installed
> along with everything else, but I had 2.6.8 on the Mac partition for
> BootX, so I have no modules.
>
> There were two obvious problems:
> 1. I had put in a 100mb Adaptec ethernet card but it wasn't recognized
> 2. The DMA was turned off for my CDROM (blacklisted say the logs)
>
> I copied the newer kernel to the Mac side and tried that. It of course
> has its modules and it booted up fine. But I had no useable ethernet.
> The logs say it loaded the tulip driver. The logs also show that
> pcmcia started. But no ethernet was active. (But the CD DMA was OK).
>
> I guess I'll try compiling a new 2.6.8 kernel for the modules. But
> were there problems with Adaptec ethernet cards on those machines?

Hey Barry
I'm glad you've got ydl 4 instaled on your G3
I never could get it installed on my Mac 8600
I do not know if the Sonnet/Cresendo G4 upgrade proc card caused it not
to install or what and I even booted with the same kernel you did.
So I'm stumped Anyone have any comments/solutions to this?
Mac 8600
Sonnet Cresendo G4 400Mhz proc card
ATI Rage128 15meg video card
496megs Ram