HP LaserJet problems

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Mon Apr 11 21:00:58 MDT 2005

Kenneth,

I have a similar situation, with an Axis printer. Although it does
support Mac printing, this is YDL, so forget the Mac side of things.

To make my printer (LJ6MP) work with the Axis print server connected to
its parallel port, I needed two vitally important things, the IP address
(or hostname, if it's in DNS or your /etc/hosts file), and the name of
the logical printer, as established inside the DLink print server.
You'll have to look up the information on how to print out the internal
printer assignments on the DLink, either in the user's guide or on their
website, to get the latter. I suspect it will also print out the IP
address when you do that.

I then used the standard Printing System Tool and created a new printer,
queue type: Networked UNIX (LPD) printer and filled in teh IP address as
the Server, and the queue name (on the print server) LPT1, according to
what I got from the configuration page printout.

 From there, I get prints whenever I want 'em!

I can't guarantee that the DLink functions the same way, but I'd bet it
does. If you're into guessing, try LPT1 or AUTO for the queue name on
the print server (The DLINK device). Otherwise, go the smart route and
print out the config page.

Olaf