HP LaserJet problems

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Thu Apr 14 15:07:52 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 23:00, Olaf Olson wrote:
> Kenneth,
>
> I have a similar situation, with an Axis printer. Although it does
> support Mac printing, this is YDL, so forget the Mac side of things.
>
> To make my printer (LJ6MP) work with the Axis print server connected to
> its parallel port, I needed two vitally important things, the IP address
(snip)
> I can't guarantee that the DLink functions the same way, but I'd bet it
> does. If you're into guessing, try LPT1 or AUTO for the queue name on
> the print server (The DLINK device). Otherwise, go the smart route and
> print out the config page.
>
> Olaf

snip

I guess it does work the same. I finally got it to work...printed your
email as first job!

I'm still left with one little housekeeping problem. In my attempts to
get the printer working I'd tried a number of setups. One of them still
shows up in Printer Configuration/Browsed Queues as "HPLaserJet6L". I
can open/close the browsed queues list but NOT delete this reference to
a printer that doesn't really exist. Ditto in Gnome Print Manager. I'm
showing three printers there. Two that really exist: HPLJ6L and HPAIO (a
PSC750xi that is connected locally via usb) and the aforementioned
HPLaserJet6L. The "Delete" icon is greyed out for the printer that
doesn't exist. I can "Hide" it so it doesn't show up in my list of
available printers, but would like to get rid of it completely.
Is this a job for the command line?
Thanks to Olaf and other who offered help which ultimately got my
printer working. (Now to try to get it going under OSX)

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA