Passwordless login

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:57:22 MDT 2005

On 4/18/05, Richard June <rjune at bravegnuworld.com> wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 19:56, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > Hi, I'd like to set up an account which allows a user to login without
> > requiring a password (remote and/or local).
> >
> > I have the suspicious feeling this can be accomplished in two ways
> > (unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to do so using man-pages
> > and site:terrasoftsolutions.com):
> >
> > 1. set the user to have no password (I have yet to convince passwd to do so
> You are right, that is possible, it's a *VERY* bad idea to do (which is why
> passwd won't allow it). It's simple enough to do, that if you have to ask how
> to do it, you probably should reconsider doing it.

Well, I'm asking, aren't I? I don't mind if it's a bad idea -- I'm
trying to learn! The account is not in the sudoers list (I wish YDL
would use sudo out the box instead of su<grumble>... which reminds me,
I shoudl disable root someday) and there aren't any private files
there so it doesn't matter. I can do it in Ubuntu but the pam
configuration file in YDL is different :-(.

Eric.