Passwordless login

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:20:54 MDT 2005

> > > I have the suspicious feeling this can be accomplished in two ways
> > > (unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to do so using man-pages
> > > and site:terrasoftsolutions.com):
> > >
> > > 1. set the user to have no password (I have yet to convince passwd to do so
> > You are right, that is possible, it's a *VERY* bad idea to do (which is why
> > passwd won't allow it). It's simple enough to do, that if you have to ask how
> > to do it, you probably should reconsider doing it.

Well, I re-read the man page for passwd and noticed the -d flag.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have any practical effect. Samba,
AppleTalk and ssh all still require the old password? Now I'll see if
WebMin will do it (of course, by doing it the WebMin way I won't
actually know how to do it myself ;)

Eric.