Ok I give up...

Richard June rjune at bravegnuworld.com
Tue Apr 26 10:36:37 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 11:24, Dylan wrote:
> I made a big mistake.  I was trying to update rpm to 4.2.2 (why?? long
> story...) on YDL 3.0.  I met all the dependencies (so I thought...) and
> then installed the RPMs.  Now when I use RPM, I get the error:
>
>     rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libelf.so.1: cannot open
>
> I know I have to update elfutils.  The problem is that all of the
> versions of elfutils that I can use can only be found as an RPM.  Has
> this ever happened to anyone?  If it did, would you, please, advise me
> of how to get out of it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've done it before, by being stupid. here's what you gotta do.
find somebody that has the elfutils from the distro you got the rpm 4.2.2 pkg
from and have them run this command...
tar -cjf elfutils.tar `rpm -ql elfutils`
note the backticks, not quotes. then copy that file to your machine, and do
this:
cd / ; tar -xjf /path/to/elfutils.tar
make a note of every package you have to do that with, when you finally unbork
rpm, then using rpm, install the versions of those packages so that your
rpmdb is consistent again.
and for future reference, mucking about with rpm is a bad plan

--
Public Key available Here:
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/pubkey.asc