All right, put it this way (was Re: Can FC4.ppc ...)

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Sun Aug 7 12:51:40 MDT 2005

On Aug 6, 2005, at 10:40 PM, beartooth wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:45:57 -0700, Owen Stampflee wrote:
>
>> Please keep fedora chatter to the fedora mailing lists. This list is
>> about YDL, not Fedora.
>
> Then how do I get YDL4, installed & updated & running fine, to boot to
> ANY CD not from Terrasoft? Is that a YDL question??
>
> I have three sets of CDs, which I won't describe again. I have tried
> rebooting and holding C, rebooting and hitting C normally (once,
> twice, or
> more times), and every variation on that I can think of -- with #1 of
> each
> set.
>
> I get one of two things.
>
> Either the Insult to the Aged -- some silly little tiny display which
> nobody with old eyes and no microscope could posible make out, despite
> its
> offensive flashing.
>
> Or else a message saying "Booting CDROM..." -- and doing nothing. It
> sits
> there, regardless how long I wait, with or without the C pressed.
>
> NB: it does not pull these despicable shenanigans with the YDL4 CDs.
> Only
> with others.

This isn't a YDL question.  OpenFirmware (OF) should be able to boot
from your
cd provided it *is* bootable without ever getting yaboot or YDL
involved.
Have you tried holding down the option key when you hear the startup
chime?  OF
should then present a screen of bootable OSs for you to choose from
(give it
time- it's enumerating your entire device tree and looking for OSs).
If this doesn't
work, please privately send me a URL to this troublesome ISO.  I have a
little spare
time and a blank CD that I could donate to getting this problem off the
list.

JL