JOB POSTING: Application Evangelist

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 10 16:24:34 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 16:21 -0400, beartooth wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:18:49 -0400, Christopher Murtagh wrote: [....]
> >> As you can tell from the participation on the pine list gmane carries,
> >> and especially from comp.mail.pine, this app has lots of users,
> >> especially *ix people.
> >
> >   Yes, and I'm one of them (I'm even using MacPine right now, deleted
> > Mail.app the second I got my new laptop). I have been a Pine user for
> > years and I really *love* the interface. However Pine isn't very distro
> > friendly - they have a braindead license.
>
> Yes I recognize you from c.m.p -- so surely you've read the license
> discussions there?

c.m.p? Don't know it.

> Meanwhile, some of us mere users go on getting pine any way we can  -- and
> unlike FC 3 & 4, YDL doesn't make getting it trivial;

 How is it more trivial to get it in FC3 or FC4 that has anything to do
with Red Hat? I know I got it on my Intel machines via Dag but not
thanks to Red Hat.

> And to repeat my original point: right here on this list we have a post
> with a URL to an rpm that works. I suggest again that it is in Terrasoft's
> interest as well as that of many users to post a link to it on the YDL
> site -- or even offer it, with no guarantee, for download, if its author
> agrees.

And who will fix it if there's a security problem? The best thing for
TSS would be to have a how-to perhaps pointing to the site. However, I
would go further and write a quick how-to to grab the src.rpm from Dag
and rebuild. It's not that hard, and for the very small number of Pine
users that are out there, I imagine the majority of them can follow
these instructions (although I admit it's a drag, but the source of the
problem is UW).

Cheers,

Chris