Pine sources for YDL (was Re: JOB POSTING: Application Evangelist)

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 11 08:55:10 MDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:24:34 -0400, Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 16:21 -0400, beartooth wrote:
>> Yes I recognize you from c.m.p -- so surely you've read the license
>> discussions there?
>
> c.m.p? Don't know it.

Sorry : comp.mail.pine, which I had spelled out a couple lines further up.

>> Meanwhile, some of us mere users go on getting pine any way we can  -- and
>> unlike FC 3 & 4, YDL doesn't make getting it trivial;
>
>  How is it more trivial to get it in FC3 or FC4 that has anything to do
> with Red Hat? I know I got it on my Intel machines via Dag but not
> thanks to Red Hat.

I'm not sure I understand the question. With plain non-ppc Fedora, you can
do rpm -ivh on the rpm from UW, get a dependency, and then do yum install
on the dependency; it does it, and repeating the rpm gives you pine.
Relatively trivial, at least, once you think of asking yum for the
dependency (actually two dependencies, which yum can install both at
once); but that doesn't work in YDL4 -- maybe those dependencies are not
written yet for ppc, or just not in the YDL repo??

I would be happy to see a plain rpm, like the one on the site I mentioned,
in any of the main sources of rpms, and findable by rpmseek (formerly
rpmfind) a/o freshmeat a/o freshrpms. If one is there, I missed it, or
it's just gotten there.

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;