[ydl-gen] OT?? Hardware question : b;inkety-blink

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:55:34 MDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Brian Wood <beww1 at mac.com> wrote:
> Interesting. I have often wanted an HD indicator LED on my iBooks. It is
> disconcerting to me to have no feedback at all to tell me if the machine
> has hung or is just "thinking".  Why would it drive you to insanity or
> the brink thereof? I'd like to look into that kernel mod and see if I
> could do that myself.
>
> As for the sleep LED now, it functions quite normally for me under YDL,
> now if I could only get the machine to wake up properly...

When you work in a dark environment the green or white blinking is
extremely irritating. As a Mac user I like my computers to "just
work", including my Linux installs. Sometimes info is useful but often
times too much is counter-productive, and, drive activity isn't
exactly that useful anymore (since real hangs are pretty rare).

As for modding your kernel -- it ought to be a simple change (it's
apparently been in the kernel for years). If I'm ever to have drive
activity shown, I'd rather it be a little on-screen widget than
something as intrusive as the sleep light.

Eric.