[ydl-gen] Re: HFS+ mount is read only -- how to make RW? (YDL 4.0.1)

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Sat Dec 3 12:02:32 MST 2005

> Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:17:36 -0700
> From: Jeffrey Paul Burger <jeff at sedona.net>

> I know that hpmount /dev/sdb gave me the following message (hpmount
> /mnt/macos may have been identical but I can't be sure now):
>
> "Warning. You are about to open /dev/sdb for writing. Are you sure you want
> to do this (y/n)?"
>
> I responded affirmatively and received:
>
> "hpmount: Neither wrapper nor native HFS+ volume header found (unknown error
> 4294967295)"
>
> I went ahead anyway with the usual "mount /dev/sdb /mnt/macos -t hfsplus"
> and received:
>
> "Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb or too many mounted
> filesystems"

I think you are asking for trouble if you combine hpmount with mount
-t hfsplus.  The hputils stuff is old (a way to access HFS+
filesystems before the kernel support was available) and I limit my
use of it to hpmount followed by an immediate hpumount (only when
necessary to reset the consistency bits, and only after doing a
consistency check under MacOS).  From the error message you report,
though, your filesystem may have already been hosed when you did the
hpmount.

Ray