[ydl-gen] prob mounting an external fw ext2 partition

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Dec 5 12:08:31 MST 2005

Greetings:
Due to the issues of language translation I'd like to recommend one
popular tool which many have found useful in the past.  However, I
cannot say how well translations into French will be.  Test the
application with a few phrases you know well.  There are other language
translators however, this is the one I have used most.  For the
languages I have used it to translate; it is not a scholar's tool but
it will provide at least a basic and reliable idea of what is being
discussed.

http://babelfish.altavista.com

Ok.  Now that is out of the way.  There are two links I hope you will
consider reviewing which discuss in detail the differences (complete
with reference links) between the BSD version of pdisk, the Linux
version of pdisk and Apple's Disk Utility/Partition program.  The
nuances are important.  The references in these pages may explain some
of the errors you are seeing and clarify further limitations in using
one tool versus another for partitioning purposes.

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/partitioning.html

http://www.hmug.org/man/8/pdisk.php

The installation guide for YDL 4.0 discussing partitioning is found
here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/

In the Terra Soft Solutions guide you will notice that the
recommendation is to create partitions from Apple's Disk Utility
program and create Unallocated (which is read by Disk Druid as Free
Space), first.  However, all this information as hair splitting as it
may be may not be actually useful to you because of how you are
choosing to implement a backup.

You state that "the purpose of this extra partition is to backup all of
my /home."  Perhaps the best way to present the problem in an
understandable light (by way of analogy) is to consider a table or desk
with a few locations or levels in which to place certain items which
will be used daily ... say paper, pencils, paper clips -- other odds
and ends of a place where some thinking and work is done.  Now as long
as the entire structure of the desk is physically intact and
functional, all the other items remain in their respective places in
the order one has chosen.

However, suppose something upsets that physical order... a leg breaks,
a slot doesn't close, the floor is at an angle ... now that same
environment is not as useful.  The integrity and nature of one's work
at that desk cannot progress as before and attention must be redirected
away from the actual process of one's preferred work.  One must look
for another location or temporary work space or/and replace the desk
altogether or rebuild the floor or whatever.

Let's return to the reality of what a hard disk is and what partitions
are actually comprised of.

A hard disk is a device which utilizes electricity (which
simultaneously itself distributes a minute magnetic charge) so that
areas along each platter within the hard disk are magnetically marked
as containing data which begins at one location and ends elsewhere.
Consider that all such markers of data, as well as the data itself is
comprised of magnetic signatures of one sort or another.

If you recall basic physics from childhood or even high school or
perhaps you would consider participating with a local computer users
group to discuss this subject as a question to consider for deeper
understanding -- all magnetic/electrical systems are extremely
sensitive to minute changes ranging from muons/nutrinos shooting to
Earth from the Sun (Sunspots) which interfere with all electronics, to
minute changes in the Earth's gravity, to someone -- a child placing a
magnet or toy containing magnets (like a magnetic checker/chess board)
on your desk -- any of these (or other) things can affect your computer
and your hard drive.  Remember also that the magnetic signature
isolating one region of data from other is very tiny and easily changed
by any of these or any very weak magnetic or electrical charges --
which exist in nature and natural human social environment.

Although the electronics have improved, certain laws of physics remain
unchangeable within current human knowledge and so other means of
protecting data are utilized by professionals as a means of protecting
data on a hard drive.  A few of these means are available for use by
non-professionals, if the non-professional is aware of the nature of
how fragile data actually is.  One basic rule easily applied, is never
store important data which one needs as a backup -- as a partition on
the same hard drive -- or any hard drive.  Utilize instead a reliable
technology such as rewriteable CDs and burn your data to be preserved
to that CD media.  CDs can be ruined yes, by temperature variations and
exposure to direct sunlight, but if the CDs are kept in a closed and
dry environment the backup data burned onto to them will remain
unchanged as the data record is physical -- not magnetic.

Means of storing data from one partition to another on the same or even
to another hard drive -- is a gamble.  A gamble which physics has
already determined is a "losing hand" -- to use an American expression
usually used in Poker, the card game.  Storing data in the short term
onto magnetic media also is not a wonderful solution, but if that media
is not near one's daily work area -- then no matter what happens to the
desk or the main hard disk one is working with -- the stored data will
survive because it is physically somewhere else and yet readily
retrieveable.

If the general idea is clear, then the next step is developing and
maintaining a personal and steady backup and recovery strategy.  A
variety of local computer user groups explore issues and concepts
covered here from time to time as a matter of standard practice; at
least they should.  If not, I'm sure you can find discussions regarding
this and related topics on the net.  If your data is important to you
in any sense, then so the concepts discussed briefly here should be.

Best wishes....