[ydl-gen] XFree86 server botched.

je killen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Dec 25 21:12:01 MST 2005

I installed Yellow dog v3.0 on a Mac 7200/120 and it worked with
graphics card 'generic of compatible' and display as generic unknown. I
went to the system preferences app and found my monitor in the list
I.E. Apple 1710 and chose that. I have video RAM installed in the
computer but I don't have record of what size and the chips themselves
don't say explicitly. I
also tried to configure the DPI (by follwoing the instructions and
measuring the monitor and entering the height and width in inches. I
know the monitor and system is capable of thousands of colors, so I
told it to do thousands of colors at 800x600.
When I logged out of the session and logged back in the video was
missing a color and blotched with jagged, low resolution. I rebooted
and tried to uncheck the no video driver option in Bootx. With that
setting the server won't even run. Back to reboot and let it finish
booting into Mac OS before trying Linux again. This time the X server
only uses half the screen and is missing colors, grossly missing
colors. It is illegible enough not to be able to use it to change the
configuration. I switched to a console to use the system. FreeBSD has a
configuration script called xf86config that is run from the command
line to configure X. Is there a similar script on Yellow Dog? (none was
found by that name with find) Or do I have to re-install the system?
(as I already have had to for the same problems the first time, last
week end).
Thanks
Jeff K
jekillen at prodigy.net
Another item of interest:
WHEN RUNNING YELLOW DOG V3.0 ON A POWERBOOK 3400C/180, DO NOT HIT THE
POWER KEY.
THE DISPLAY GOES INTO STANDBY MODE AND WHEN I BROUGHT IT BACK UP IT WAS
WALL
TO WALL FROZEN GARBAGE. THE POWER KEY IS RIGHT ABOVE THE DELETE KEY. I
FOUND
OUT THIS TRAP WHEN I WAS IN A VI EDITING SESSION AND HIT THE POWER KEY
INSTEAD OF
THE DELETE KEY.
I hope this is or will be helpful to anyone about to embark on a
similar adventure with a 3400c.
(perhaps this problem has been fixed, I don't know at this point).