[ydl-gen] XFree86 server botched.

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Sun Dec 25 22:33:26 MST 2005

Jeff,

Two key things.

1. When you measure in inches and enter the values, you MUST click the
units button and set it to inches EVEN IF IT SAYS INCHES when you
entered the number. As I recall, inches is the default, but it will
still default to something else, regardless. If you don't do this,
OpenOffice will open all documents such that you might get to see an
entire word on your screen, instead of the entire document. In addition,
all of the automatic viewing of file contents will fail, viewing
postscript or PDF files from the file browser, for example.

2. To get back to the old settings. log in via a shell login, rather
than a graphics login, and restore the automatic backup that YDL made
when you changed the settings. This file is /etc/X11/XF86Config.backup.
Restore it by renaming XF86Config and then renaming the backup file to
XF86Config. This should get you back to something that works.

I have found that the preselect configurations (choose the monitor,
video card, etc.) never gave me very good results. It worked better for
me to choose what I knew the monitor and graphics could do. I have an
8500, which is similar enough that it might work. I booted into OS9 and
looked at the monitor settings there, to get the exact values that the
Mac figured out would work. I then went back to YDL and set the values
exactly, and adjusted the monitor size as explained above. You may
actually have to edit the XF86Config file to add the display mode. Mine
now looks something like this (ignore the ATI Rage 128 setting for the
Device. My 8500 is offline until I can locate a new hard drive, as the
original died after 10 years of near-continuous operation):

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "ATI Rage 128"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

Best of luck! YDL brings life to old hardware.

Olaf