[ydl-gen] XFree86 server botched.

je killen jekillen at prodigy.net
Mon Dec 26 13:51:09 MST 2005

On Dec 25, 2005, at 9:33 PM, Olaf Olson wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Two key things.
>
> 1. When you measure in inches and enter the values, you MUST click the
> units button and set it to inches EVEN IF IT SAYS INCHES when you
> entered the number. As I recall, inches is the default, but it will
> still default to something else, regardless. If you don't do this,
> OpenOffice will open all documents such that you might get to see an
> entire word on your screen, instead of the entire document. In
> addition, all of the automatic viewing of file contents will fail,
> viewing postscript or PDF files from the file browser, for example.
I'll remember that;

> 2. To get back to the old settings. log in via a shell login, rather
> than a graphics login, and restore the automatic backup that YDL made
> when you changed the settings. This file is
> /etc/X11/XF86Config.backup. Restore it by renaming XF86Config and then
> renaming the backup file to XF86Config. This should get you back to
> something that works.
The first time I tried this, but I didn't realize at the time the key
combination for terminal mode was ctrl+option+F1, (I was trying
command+control+F1, like PC Linux). So I ssh'd into
the machine from my G4 mac and did the name swap routine but it didn't
seem to make a difference. I probably got something wrong.

> I have found that the preselect configurations (choose the monitor,
> video card, etc.) never gave me very good results. It worked better
> for me to choose what I knew the monitor and graphics could do. I have
> an 8500, which is similar enough that it might work. I booted into OS9
> and looked at the monitor settings there, to get the exact values that
> the Mac figured out would work. I then went back to YDL and set the
> values exactly, and adjusted the monitor size as explained above. You
> may actually have to edit the XF86Config file to add the display mode.
> Mine now looks something like this (ignore the ATI Rage 128 setting
> for the Device. My 8500 is offline until I can locate a new hard
> drive, as the original died after 10 years of near-continuous
> operation):
I want to run MIDI software, specifically, Rosegarden on my 7200 so I
really don't need Photoshop quality display but something better than 8
bit seems reasonable.

> Section "Screen"
>        Identifier "Screen0"
>        Device     "ATI Rage 128"
>        Monitor    "Monitor0"
>        DefaultDepth     16
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Depth     16
>                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>        EndSubSection
>

> Best of luck! YDL brings life to old hardware.
>
> Olaf
Thank you for the info
Jeff K.