YDL off the cutting edge

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 12:59:46 MST 2005

Ray,

It's unlikely you will ever be able to boot YDL on an OldWorld mac
*directly* from CD.  You can't do that now with 3.0 or 3.0.1.  It's
technically possible to build a bootable Linux CD for OldWorld
machines, but there are licensing issues that make it legally
difficult.  So I'll venture to predict that you'll never see such a
thing from TeraSoft, or most likely any other Linux distributor.

That said, it's not difficult to get Linux running on OldWorld Mac
hardware.  The recommended (by me -- others are of different religions)
way is with a small MacOS-9 (or MacOS-8) partition and the "BootX"
extension.   Email me if you need instructions on how to do this.

As far as getting YDL 4.0 running on OldWorld machines:  As I
understand it, the issue is that the kernel and initial-ramdisk on the
4.0 CD are missing one or more drivers necessary for OW Macs.  There
has been some work by folks on this list to compile a kernel&modules
with the necessary stuff, but I'm not sure what degree of success
they've had.  Anybody want to comment?

Rick

PS: It seems likely that the YDL4.0 installer is unaware of the OW
hardware quirks and may have problems with it as well.  I seem to
recall that the installer gave the TerraSoft folks fits when they were
developing 4.0, so it's a safe bet that it will take a bit of work to
get it to play nice on an OW machine.  Again, anybody want to comment
on this?