Fedora PPC RPM repo?

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 13:09:02 MST 2005

My experience in successfully upgrading packages in YDL-3 to versions
newer than what exists in the YDL-3.0.1 tree has been to download source
RPM's from the original producer, Redhat, or elsewhere and build the
newer version locally within the YDL-3 environment. The major issue with
doing this is dealing with the dependencies.

Quite often I find that the requirements within a spec file are over
specified.  You really have to look at each package on a case by case
basis to determine the *minimum* requirement set.

I don't have a big problem with a vendor over specifying requirements.
That's often just a quick and dirty way of saying "we know by testing
that this package works with this set of requirements. It may work with
others that we have not tested".

Sometimes you cannot locate a source RPM but can find a tarball. You can
try your hand at modifying the SPEC file from an earlier version SRPM
that you have available from YDL.

Once you get something to successfully build [and test], you then have
to deal with the consequences of installation.  Often you will find that
other packages depend upon the package you are updating. If you are
fortunate, simply rebuilding those packages may be all that is
required.  If you are less fortunate, you may have to update even more
packages.

And so it goes...

-Joseph

joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net