PHP update on YDL3 (was: Re: Fedora PPC RPM repo?)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Feb 2 12:54:32 MST 2005

Steven J. Norton wrote :

> This may speak to an issue I'm having: I've got YDL 3 on an Old World G3
> that is currently serving (temporarily) as the production server for a
> couple of web sites. Thus, I'm not in a hurry to try drastic upgrades.
But
> what is the best way to find a ppc RPM of the latest version of PHP
> (4.3.10)? [This was an important security update.]
>
> The Fedora PPC development repository has v5 (jumps a level), and the
> version that apparently shipped with YDL4 is 4.3.8. The Fedora project
has a
> source RPM for 4.3.10, but I'm a bit nervous compiling it on my own,
> especially for use on a live server. [PHP.net offers source, but not in
RPM
> format -- even scarier.] Is this something Matthias would be willing to
do?
> What are my options?

My suggestion would be to take the latest available YDL3 php source rpm
(hoping it's 4.3.x of course), replace the version with 4.3.10, recompile
(taking care of eventual quirks here and there) and use the resulting
package. There are some obvious gotchas, like if something in the php.ini
has changed syntax, or things you won't see right away like defaults having
been changed somewhere between your current version and 4.3.10...

Anyway, speaking for myself, php updates have always been annoying, and
unless there are some remote exploits involved, I don't usually bother
upgrading my servers since I'm lucky enough to trust all users :-/

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.10-1.753_FC3
Load : 0.02 0.31 0.25