Netbooting a G5 and YDL 4

McKinlay, Ken Ken.McKinlay at curtisswright.com
Wed Feb 9 12:16:40 MST 2005

Greetings,

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before on the list but I did not see anything in the archives (at least since YDL 4 was released).

I am attempting to netboot YDL 4 on a Mac G5 using the kernel image vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5 from yellowdog-4.0/en/os/boot and ramdisk.image.gz file from yellowdog-4.0/en/os/images/ on the FTP site. The dhcp and tftp components of the boot appears to work fine. I see the accessing of the kernel and ramdisk file from my tftp server. However, instead of a prompt from the ramdisk image, it continues loading YDL from the copy already installed on the hard disk.

The questions I have are:

1. Has anyone gotten YDL to work via netboot using the files available from the FTP site?

2. Is the loading from the hard disk normal if netbooting using the ramdisk.image.gz file?

3. What have I messed up or forgotten in order to get this to work so it doesn't refer to the hard disk?

Thanks in advance,

Ken McKinlay, GCIA
Network Security (and former UNIX administrator),
Curtiss-Wright Controls, Embedded Computing
ken.mckinlay at curtisswright.com