Kernel upgrade problem

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 17:40:15 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 18:29, Anthony Lanni wrote:
>        Yeah, word is 4.0.1 is a great improvement (thanks Owen, et.
> al); I've checked the mirrors, and even the primary yellowdoglinux.com
> repositories don't have it yet.  Oh, well, I'll twiddle my thumbs
> until it appears; 4.0 seems fine for now.

patience is a virtue [:-)]...

>         As for the sound issues, I added the lines monkey listed in
> the "ALSA Problemo" thread to my modprobe.conf file,

Good...

Simplicity is beautiful.  These days the /etc/modprobe.conf file for my
G4 [silver] contains only:

        alias eth0 sungem
        alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

        alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac

        install snd-card-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-card-0 &&
        /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
        remove snd-card-0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
        ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-card-0

>  and I'm going to
> reboot and try them out as soon as I finish downloading firefox and
> thunderbird from the freshrpms 3.0 repository.  (I'm assuming they
> will work ok; why isn't firefox 1.0 in the 4.0 world yet?  I guess
> I'll have to build it myself...)

Not necessary...

	http://www.thecodefactory.org/mozilla/

>        Ah, anyway, back on the subject; I'm using gnome.  It's what
> I'm used to at work, and after exploring KDE when I first logged in, I
> think they're pretty similar user-interface wise; just some
> specialized menu items under KDE that I don't think I need anyway.

KDE can be a wondrous thing if you really get into it.  That being said,
most of us don't so GNOME is one of the favored choices.  There are
others. It's a matter of personal taste.

>        Did I just start a religious debate?  ;-)

Not really...

joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net