Updating YDL 3.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 06:43:09 MST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:53:59 -0500, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:39:45 -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich>
> wrote:
> > You're supposed to use root= and/or init= with the pathname to the root or
> > init, e.g.: root=/dev/sda5
>
> I was slowly working my way in that direction ;) -- I'd figured out
> that it was supposed to be a path but couldn't get the right one.
>
> What I'd like to know is why is it important to run the RAM disk,
> rather than just the kernel 2.6.9*8 as I am doing presently (on my
> Beige G3/266)?

Ok, I've thoroughly messed things up so I'm going to have to do a
clean install of / :-( (backing some stuff up off /home just in case
the installer decides to wreak havoc with home... most stuff has been
backed up fortunately already).

Anyway, I STILL can't get init=/dev/hdc8 (and a million and one
permutations thereof) to work! It keeps saying that ext3 fs not found
on dev hdc6. (that's my OS 9/X boot partition; hdc7 is HFS+ storage
and hdc8 is /).

Hmm. I just noticed you wrote ROOT=/dev/hdc8. I'll try that now and
keep fingers crossed.

Eric.