Its not 'multi tasking' anymore? LONG

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 14 12:27:28 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:05, Rick Thomas wrote:
> On Monday, February 14, 2005, at 08:35 AM, Andrew wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 01:00, Rick Thomas wrote:
> >
> >> How much RAM does this machine have?
> > 320MB
> >>
> >> Have you tried installing more RAM?
> > I will eventually do.
>
> I's say that 320 MB is enough for what you seem to want to do,
> though 512 MB would be "very comfortable" given the recently
> mentioned "bloat" that occurred between YDL 3.01 and 4.1 .

 I might as well get a NewWorld or a x86 box instead of upgrading and
agonizing a bit longer on such a old piece.. It would do a fine local
yum repository. I could make it be a yum server if my ISP would allow me
the 'serving priviledge' without boosting my bills too much.

> I'm guessing that your problem isn't swapping.  Try turning off
> spamassassin and see what happens.  You don't need it for what you
> want to do, and it's a very resource-intensive program.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Rick

 Thats true, man. Turning off the service actually brought a noticeable
improvement, its more responsive. I erased the rpm as well.

 I still want more ;-)
 What part/package of a GNU/Linux system is responsible for
'multitasking'? Multitasking as what Mr. Sacco mentioned: "unpack a huge
tarball in one window and try to edit a file in another window" You
should notice the text editor won't respond until the tarball is gone
unpacking. At least this is the case on my system. To answer my own
question, it seam its all about the 2.6x kernel series. I wonder if the
newest release (2.6.11+) are better or worst on old hardware.

 Anyway, until I figure out something really clever, I will try both the
latest 2.4x kernel and the 2.6.11 and see how it turn out. I just want
to do it and even if nothing is gained at least I'll know for sure why
'the latest does not mean the best'.