[OT] Editing menus revisited

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 15 16:51:12 MST 2005

Dr. Sacco:

(This rambles off topic, and risks being flame bait, so move along if it
offends you.)

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Question:
>   How do you unlock the Gnome-2.6 menus for editing???
>
> Answer:
>   Not easily. There may be a way, but menu editing in GNOME-2.6
>   is generally broken.
> [...]

Do you think that is a Gnome problem or a Fedora (and therefore Yellow
Dog 4.0.x) problem?

It seems to me from reading this list (I do not have a machine on which
to run YDL 4.0) that YDL 4.0 was plagued with a large number of
obviously "broken" parts (sound support, Gnome menus, etc.). However, it
also seems that the majority of these broken parts were previously
broken in Fedora Core 2 from which YDL 4.0 was derived. If so, how did
such an important Linux distribution as Fedora Core 2 ship with so many
"showstopping" issues?

Why do I ask? I tried Fedora Core 2 on my sacrificial PC at home, and I
detested it. Many things did not work (including sound), few of my
favorite applications were included (xmms anyone?), I could not install
successfully any additional applications, and choosing to update
automatically with the latest security updates and fixes hosed my
installation royally (I had to turn off the "update me" indicator in the
kicker, because updating killed Gnome). It was not a happy experience
(keep in mind that I was a Fedora/Red Hat virgin coming to it from
Mandrake, so I may have had emotional issues).

Was my experience unusual, or is that the current state of Fedora?

> Answer:
>   "Hey, Joe. Walk on the wild side..."

Best wishes,
Clint
(who is "Looking for soul food, and a bite to eat.")