Editing menus revisited

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 07:17:47 MST 2005

Eric,

Thanks for the offer. My interest would be purely academic at this point
as I am looking to move on to a later version of GNOME.

Not being able to easily edit a menu is an aggravation, but not a show
stopper. Since I [sort of] know how the menu system works,  I can add
and remove things manually by altering the contents of the appropriate
directories.

I believe that TSS is in the process of testing the current stable
version of GNOME, which is 2.8.2.1. releasing 2.8.2.1, even with locked
menus, would be a good thing since it will update the GNOME support
libraries.

-Joseph

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 23:22, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:36:28 -0500, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D.
> <joseph_sacco@> wrote:
> > Question:
> >         How do you unlock the Gnome-2.6 menus for editing???
> >
> > Answer:
> >         Not easily.  There may be a way, but menu editing in GNOME-2.6
> >         is generally broken.
>
> If you want, I can try and dig up the manual modification instructions
> for 2.9 (they're easy) -- perhaps they're the same as in 2.6? GNOME
> 2.8 had a fully functional menu editing interface in Ubuntu (there, I
> said that distro's name ;-) and, judging by the developer comments
> that were floating around the lists, it was GNOME 2.8 that was
> working.
>
> In 2.9.9x (2.10 beta?) the interface recently (versions released this
> year) broke and it doesn't sound like there are immediate plans to fix
> it (since the next version of Ubuntu is now rapidly approaching
> feature freeze there was some discussion on the topic).
>
> > Question:
> >         Did this ever get fixed in later versions of GNOME?
> >
> > Answer:
> >         Maybe...
> >         Under gnome-2.8.2.1 menus are editable.  However, all the other
> >         menus from the YDL-4 gnome-2.6 install have vanished.
> >
> >         Under gnome-2.9.91 menus are once again locked.  However, all
> >         the other menus from the YDL gnome-2.6 install have reappeared.
>
> Yep. Can confirm both.
>
> Eric.
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net