Editing menus revisited

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:07:37 MST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:17:47 -0500, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D.
<joseph_sacco@> wrote:
> Thanks for the offer. My interest would be purely academic at this point
> as I am looking to move on to a later version of GNOME.
>
> Not being able to easily edit a menu is an aggravation, but not a show
> stopper. Since I [sort of] know how the menu system works,  I can add
> and remove things manually by altering the contents of the appropriate
> directories.
>
> I believe that TSS is in the process of testing the current stable
> version of GNOME, which is 2.8.2.1. releasing 2.8.2.1, even with locked
> menus, would be a good thing since it will update the GNOME support
> libraries.

Message 1:
Am Freitag, den 28.01.2005, 16:57 -0500 schrieb WirelessMike:
> Frankly, I'm stumped.  I've searched through directories to try to find
> a harder way, but I have found nothing.  I've seen both the methods
> mentioned here work in warty on gnome 2.8, but neither works on hoary
> with gnome 2.9.

in gnome 2.9 the menu editing was redesigned to the new
freedesktop.org standard. for this there is no gui based menu editing
functionallity yet. currently you will have to add launchers for the
menu by editing .desktop files in:

~/.local/share/applications/

to get an example file to modify, copy one from
/usr/share/applications to this directory.

Message 2:

Am Mittwoch, den 16.02.2005, 16:48 +0100 schrieb Simon Santoro:
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/menuediting.html
> it really reads like it's not very complex. just .desktop files with
> attributes in it. if only i had time to do some python in my
> (inexistant) spare time...

erm, that is exactly what has been dropped..... you should look here:

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fmenu_2dspec

for the new standard.