Installing YDL 4 on a Powerbook G4

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Feb 24 09:11:25 MST 2005

> From: Christian Kienle <christian-kienle at losg.org>
> Date: 2005/02/23 Wed AM 07:07:20 EST
> To: YDL - General <yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> Subject: Installing YDL 4 on a Powerbook G4
>
> Howdy,
>
> well - I need a Linux running on my Powerbook G4. It would no be a
> problem for me to install YDL if there would be a solution for my
> problem.
>
> Here is it:
>
> I have tons of complex data on my Powerbook. Videos, MP3's, Mails,
> Apps, Database data and so on. But from what I have heart I have to
> resize my partition and make space for YDL. And the only solution is to
> buy an app which does this for me. I a Mac forum they gave me a link to
> a product which i able to resize my Partition without loosing data. But
> this app costs $ 50. A bit too much for a student. :)
>
> Is there any other possibility?

I'll be shortly getting a PB myself.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is an
easy or neat solution other than coughing up the $50.  There is an
alternatively though it may cost you more money...I'm sure you really wanted to
here that.  But it would save your PB drive from experimentation and resizing
partitions, etc.  Besides keep in mind that Linux doesn't support Airport.

The idea is this: get an iPod and load Linux there.  Get an iPod with 40-60 GB
and then repartition the drive, dedicate about 30GB to Linux and you are done.
Of course, if you are really on the cheap you could acquire a used iPod and
reformat it's drive completely and load Linux there, but then the iPod software
would be gone.  If you don't care about the music but do care about using a
really small portable drive as your Linux drive then ...everything is fine.

Best wishes...