YDL install problems on a B&W G3

Mark Walker mhwalker60 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 18:52:05 MST 2005

Situation: B & W G3 (rev 2) with 1 GB RAM, 350MHz G3
processor (original), one 60 GB WD600 HDD (master) and
one 40 GB WD400 HDD (slave), Sony cdrw, SIIG ATA 133
pci card, stock ATI Rage graphics card.  OS 9.2.2
installed on the slave drive.  The master drive is
formatted Mac OS Extended with nothing on it.
The plan is to install YDL 4 on the master and dual
boot.  This will go to the kids, as I now have a G5
iMac.

Problem:  I cannot boot the install disk (downloaded
and burned on my iMac and another on a Windows XP box)
when I hold the "c" key upon boot.  It will not boot
from the Open Firmware prompt with "boot cd:,\\yaboot"
command.  I get the response cannot open cd.  I also
get that message using YDL 2.3 disk and Mac OS 9 disk,
when trying to boot from OF.  In fact I can rarely get
it to boot from the OS 9 install cd.  It will not go
the the OF prompt with ctrl, opt, o, f key
combination.  I had to install System Disk 2.3.1 from
Apple in order to get to the OF prompt.  I've reset
the nvram, both with cmd, opt, o, p key combination
and with reset-nvram and reset-all in OF.
Before I'm told the disk wasn't burned properly, it
will boot on my iMac.  I also could not boot a YDL 2.3
production disk from Terrasoft.  The strangest part is
that I installed YDL 2.3 on the same G3 machine a few
years ago, but did not have the SIIG Card and only had
a 9 GB HHD.  I did switch back to the IDE on the
motherboard to with no change also.  I can boot to a
Darwin 7.x.x install disk and successfully install it.
 Which is my fall back option if I cannot get YDL
installed.
Will appreciate any help.

Mark