[RANT] Why is KDE the default in YDL?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Feb 24 23:48:36 MST 2005

On Friday, 25 February 2005 00.21, Cian Duffy wrote:

> GNOME feels like.... a hybrid of OSX and BeOS. Its fast, and its
> clean. KDE feels like a cheap Windows clone - Breadbox Ensemble,
> anyone? (not sure if you have that the other side of the pond,
> relatively modern attempt at a GEOS based OS, used in Nokia cellphones
> and on desktops by very strange people..)
>
> Cian

WHAT are we going to win at reviving this STUPID Gnome vs KDE war? As far as I
am concerned I never liked Gnome - that's luck for YDL because I'd have moved
to Ubuntu - but that's NOT the question.

There are two ways to go:

- we have different distributions, that specialize on one of the desktops, and
the user chooses. That's clean, but probably you won't gain much as you'll
anyway have the other's libraries installed because you'll want this or that
app requirering parts of the other desktop.

- we get sensible and friendly distributions, where you are asked on
installation: which do you want, and even better you should be able to
reconfigure that at any time.

KDE is not a cheap Windows clone - saying that seems to indicate you have
never used either. But KDE took from many other GUIs, including OS/2, and it
can be configured nearly any way you like. Gnome is not that flexible (I
personnaly find kicker better, I can't change the button's position in the
title bar without changing the windows manager in Gnome,  but once again
that's purely a personal feeling).

What we need is an OS that makes everyone FREE, not a new war to add upon the
Linux vs Windows, Linux vs MacOS and Windows vs MacOS wars.

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein