copy to replacement hard drive

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Sat Feb 19 04:50:52 MST 2005

On Saturday 19 February 2005 09:32, Andrew Zschetzsche wrote:
> This last week I got a new harddrive for my iBook G4, so I put the new
> one in and put the old one in a USB2.0/FireWire enclosure.  So far I've
> been able to:
> 1. Get my OS X partition copied over
> 2. Installed YDL 4.0 from the CD's to properly set up my linux
> partitions
> 3. Used a Gentoo bootstrap CD to copy over the contents of the old
> partition to the new partition, making sure to preserve permissions.
> 4. Booted under YDL on the new disk and ran ybin.
>
> I can boot YDL fine, no problems, but I can't start X properly.  GDM
> begins, but then dies after five attempts.  When I startx under my user
> account, i can (but it just boots AfterStep).  If I startx as root, (i
> know, not a good idea), i get errors regarding starting KDE.
>
> So GNOME (at least GDM) and KDE, or something between the two, is
> broken.

You could start by reading /var/log/messages to see which error exactly gdm or
X is reporting. This often helps already finding the culprit.

Additionally, you could look into the following link:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue46/tag/5.html

The article is quite old, but it has helped me on a similar problem. Cause
could be a stale PID (lock-)file for gdm, or X. This might be  why X refuses
to start.

Cheers,

Geert Jan