Question on OSX and YDL on a PB

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Fri Feb 25 13:55:02 MST 2005

Copied from a thread on partion resizing in this mailing list:

<http://www.subrosasoft.com/thestore/product_info.php?products_id=431>
> 2) iPartition: <http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.html>
> 3) Drive Genius: <http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius_info.php>
> 4) Gentoo parted: <http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/2004.3/livecd/>

At least this part could help you resize the OS X partition without destroying
the information contained inside.

The partition or directories sharing part, has to be split up in two use
cases:
1. share directories/partitions simultaniously (as in: both OS's accessing the
same partition at the same time)
2. share them, but only one OS gets to write to the partition at any one given
moment.

1. In the first case (which could happen when you run MOL with MacOS X) you
could setup Appletalk or NFS shares on both linux and Mac OS X, and mount
these shares on the other system. Since those are network file systems, they
deal automatically with simultaneous write actions.

2. The second case is valid when you only have linux or Mac OS X running at
any given time, but never the two together. In this case, you could either
setup a hfs partition, that can be mounted in both OS'es, or find a ext2/ext3
driver for Mac OS X (via Fink ?) and setup a ext2/ext3 partition you can
mount in both linux or Mac OS X.

As you see, it depends on the way you will be using it, but it's certainly
possible.

Cheers,

Geert Jan