copy to replacement hard drive

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
Mon Feb 28 12:57:19 MST 2005

Well, thanks anyways.

I finally just reinstalled YDL (third time now?), and since the only
real thing that I hand-built was Firefox and Thunderbird, of which I
still had the source and build configuration for Firefox on the old
hard drive, the only real expense was time to rebuild and install
those.

Now that YDL is up to kernel version 2.6.10 ( i assume it sleeps,
haven't tried it yet) with working sound (which is configured better
than what I created when I hand build 2.6.10), I haven't in a sense
lost everything I had done.

But this time with my external HD I'm using dar to keep backups! Woot!
Now if only Kdar would be nice an compile for me.

- --Andy

On Feb 28, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Steven Didier wrote:

> I had the same problem when I upgraded to 4.0 and then a gain when I
> put a new HD in my Tibook. For me the problems were the monitor
> settings, device settings and screen settings in XF86 config file.
> Pasted on the bottom of the messages are the relevant section from my
> /X11/XF86Config file. I hope this helps!
> Steve
>  Section "Modes"
>
> 	# Generated
> 	# D: 79.815 MHz, H: 51.963 kHz, V: 60.003 Hz
> 	Identifier     "Modes0"
> 	ModeLine     "1280x854" 79.8 1280 1296 1408 1536 854 855 858 866
> -hsync -vsync
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier   "Monitor0"
> 	ModelName    "Apple Titanium PowerBook G4 (2002)"
> 	UseModes     "Modes0"
> 	HorizSync    30.0 - 100.0
> 	VertRefresh  50.0 - 60.0
> 	Option	    "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>
> 	#Option	"ShadowFB"	"true"
> 	#Option	"fbdev"	"/dev/fb0"
> 	#BusID	"PCI:0:16:0"
> 	Identifier  "Card0"
> 	Driver      "radeon"
> 	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
> 	BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility M9"
> 	Option	    "UseFBDev" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier "Screen0"
> 	Device     "Card0"
> 	Monitor    "Monitor0"
> 	DefaultDepth     24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     8
> 		Modes    "1280x854"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     16
> 		Modes    "1280x854"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     24
> 		Modes    "1280x854"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     15
> 		Modes    "1280x854"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
> 	Group        0
> 	Mode         0666
> EndSection
>

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:50:52 +0100, Geert Janssens wrote:
>> On Saturday 19 February 2005 09:32, Andrew Zschetzsche wrote:
>>>  This last week I got a new harddrive for my iBook G4, so I put the
>>> new
>>>  one in and put the old one in a USB2.0/FireWire enclosure.  So far
>>> I've
>>>  been able to:
>>>  1. Get my OS X partition copied over
>>>  2. Installed YDL 4.0 from the CD's to properly set up my linux
>>>  partitions
>>>  3. Used a Gentoo bootstrap CD to copy over the contents of the old
>>>  partition to the new partition, making sure to preserve permissions.
> [...]
- --
Andrew Zschetzsche
University of Minnesota, Morris
zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
aim: zsche004
msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu

America's Best Public Liberal Arts College.

- --The best answer to a problem with multiple solutions is often the
simplest one.

"One of the best things you can do to improve your life is to quit"
   -- Actual pull quote from the University Register