SSH access to machine behind router

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 28 14:56:18 MST 2005

Messrs. Page, Longman, and Sacco:

Thank you for your useful and prompt responses!

And, Bill Longman wrote:
> In my setup, my fw/router accepts SSH but forwards it to my Linux box. I can
> then get to any of the other machines on the inside from there. I typically
> port forward VNC or something so I can run my desktop at home from my
> machine at work.

Is "port forwarding" something that would be included in the manual
(okay, the pamphlet) that was included with my router? Otherwise, would
it be obvious how to do this from the Web-based GUI for configuring the
router?

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> The sightly longer answer is there needs to be an allowed "path" from
> wherever you are to the router, through the router, and to the machine
> in question.
> [...]
>
> Clint,  welcome to the work of IP route tables.

You are scaring me! ;-)

I will give it a try when I get home. If it is obvious how to do this
from the Web configuration, I will report on my success.

As an aside, does anyone else on this list use SBC Global as their DSL
provider? If so, does your IP address change extremely often -- say,
every half hour?

As always, thanks!!!!!

Best wishes,
Clint