Performa 6400 question

Nathan Moore nmoore at physics.umn.edu
Mon Jan 3 22:46:29 MST 2005

I recently received a Performa 6400 as a gift.  I'd like to install
Yellowdog onto the machine.  I understand that I'll have to partition
the disk and run bootx from OS8/9 to get Linux to load properly - to me
this is no big deal.

I assume though in the mean time that I'll need to install some cards
to make the machine usable for home DSL terminal use.

Specifically, the machine has 2 open PCI slots.  Can I install a PCI
video card and a PCI network card and have yellowdog (and OS9)
recognize them?

If I can, would Linux be able to use something as big as a modern ATI
rage128 32mb PCI video card?  I understand system bus is only 40mhz,
but assume videocard is buys most of the time with resizing windows (in
KDE for example).

regards,

NT