Performa 6400 question

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 07:52:48 MST 2005

No - I can barely run Windowmaker. The 5400 was one of the last Macs
without a real graphics card, just a 1MB unaccelerated framebuffer.
Mines only 180Mhz and has virtually no RAM (32MB, because I physically
can't find EDO DIMM's in Ireland).

I was also told when I bought it (the machine) that mkLinux would be
inherently slower than a macrokernel Linux, but I've never bothered
trying - not enough HDD space to try a real Linux these days

The 603e is a slug, but backed with enough RAM you should be able to
use it. I've you've got the cache, that'll help. If not, you can chuck
a 500Mhz G3 into the cache slot, but the 40Mhz bus is then the
bottleneck.

I have to admit I use my 5400 as an example of why PowerPC is as many
infinitly times better as x86 as people claim - my Thinkpad from the
same era can still easily run Windows XP, play MPEG movies smoothly,
play Warcraft (NOT WoW), whereas the 5400 has MacOS 8.6 and can't go
on the net faster than 33.6.....

You're problem with the Beige G3 would have been alleviated now that
X.Org 6.8 has much faster drivers (they might even be 3D but I'm not
sure) for the Rage cards. Note that the 6400 also has a generic
framebuffer and not a 'real' card onboard, so a Macintosh Voodoo or
Rage would be a good investment

Cian