Performa 6400 question

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jan 4 13:22:46 MST 2005

Cian was not talking about video cards or NICs, just bootable cards such
as SCSI or ATA or FireWire. Macs ignore card BIOSes and just look for
F-Code. Without F-Code, as in the case of all the PC NICs YDL users use,
it's up to the OS (Linux) to supply a driver, which is not a problem.
Installing 4.0 isn't much harder than installing 3.0, the only real
problem being that the installer will choke on installing the bootloader
and won't create a non-root user, nor auto-enable graphical login. Both of
those things can be done easily after the installer chokes. As for NICs,
TerraSoft only enables drivers for a couple of chipsets in their kernels.
You can take a look at which ones after installing, but you can't go wrong
with Tulip-based cards. IIRC, the other enabled drivers are 8139too,
ne2k_pci, and something from DEC.