installation on Performa 6400

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 07:49:45 MST 2005

--- Nathan Moore <> wrote:

> I've been playing around with the performa 6400 for the last few
> days
> and havn't got yellowdog to install satasfactorily yet.  Am using
> YDL
> 2.3 CD, and sometimes seen an error mentioning "altivec" when
> packages
> are being installed.  Several questions:
>
> (1) did I somehow burn a G3 or better iso image?  All YDL
> distributions
> should be able to account for chip differences (603e vs G3 vs 970
> etc)
>
> (2) does the install kernel make a difference in success?  two
> options
> I see are vmlinux and vmlinux-2.2 - guessing this is a difference
> in
> initial kernel?
>
> (3) If I'm using bootX on an old world machine, do I still need a
> bootloader partition in the first 20MB of the hard drive?
>
> best regards,
>
> NT Moore

NT,

Don't waste your time with 2.3, unless you can not get 3.0.  That'll
also take care of question 1

I believe the difference, it's been awhile, between vmlinux and
vmlinux2.2 is text and video support during install.

Yes, you will need a boot partition.

Are you planning on keeping mac os around other than for booting
BootX.

How much freespace do you have on the HD?

Are you trying to use the video installer?

I always use "install text" for oldworld machines, it installs
faster.

Hope I've helped some.

Good luck
Norberto