Best blogging software?

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 7 15:26:58 MST 2005

Mr. longman:

Longman, Bill wrote:
> The folks at Six Apart make Movable Type, what I use for
> my home blog, and they also have a service to which you
> can subscribe.

I have heard very good things about Movable Type. I will look into their
service. I want something I can set up in a few minutes, create some
users and passwords, then forget about it. Movable Type, Blogger.com or
Xanga.com might fill the bill (Xanga.com seems to be a bit of a teenage
dating-diary-type site, but one of my students swears by it).

> I like MT and there are lots of addons for it. It's got a
> nice user interface and it's easy to upload files, etc.
> You would run that on your server, wherever that might
> be. Mine's sitting under the desk in my office and
> getting my wife upset because it's got "too many cords".

When I "grow up" in this blog thang, I will likely move to Movable Type,
Zope, or something similar. I am not smart enough to roll my own, so
that is not an option.

> Then, of course, there's the wikis. Too many to mention
> but they are far more efficient in several ways. The
> administrative overhead is a bit less but the user
> efficiency is far greater. You edit text on a web site
> using your browser. But I know you've gotten your feet
> nice and wet in that arena, Clint.

My feet are wet, for sure! :-)

Honestly, I quite like the Snip-Snap markup language that we use on the
YDL FAQ Web pages. I hope there is something similar for whatever
blogging solution I end up with. I don't think I need quite so a lot of
sophistication for this project, however. I talked to my lab folks about
it at lunch today, and the wiki option was mentioned. However, I like
the relative permanence of the Web log paradigm for this particular use.
I want this blog to be an ongoing record of our discovery process, and I
don't want the temptation of going back and editing for posterity. So
far as I know, no one has documented the process of scientific
discovery, at least the way it occurs in real time, and I think I have
an opportunity to do something new here.

> One of the other options I might suggest is a bulletin
> board/forum.

We discussed that, too. It quickly became clear that I would be the
major (perhaps only) contributor, and everyone else would contribute
comments, at most. That's fine, since I think that it would help if the
blog had a single voice for the most part (and since I am the boss, I
get to be the voice!).

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint